The Love Shack

The Love Shack

Friday, May 31, 2019

Forgotten Land 6-6-6

A quick sweep of the Forgotten Land as I knew by now that the 3 pairs of Tree Swallows would have all their eggs laid and it's 6 in each of the boxes. Let's hope they have total success in every nest.

Tree Swallow standing it's ground as I neared the box. Photo is cropped a fair amount. This box had 6 eggs when I checked on Sunday. There is the possibility of there being 7 eggs as that is what was in this box in 2018. I let the bird and box be, and maybe next visit I might have another look inside.


Tree Swallow near one of the boxes I really wanted to inspect. This pair were very agitated at me invading their home. Even as I passed her box on my way out, not even looking at it, and staying on the path some 12 to 15 ft way, she still swooped my head numerous times until I was well away.


The last nest I checked. Tree Swallows sure build a pretty nest!


The horrors of what once were the Forgotten Land will never fade or so it seems. I found a pile of old nest boxes in the grass and this dead baby bird on top. I can assure you 150% that it's death and the broken box are not related. Interesting place to find it though, rather symbolic too. I remember taking down this particular box. Seriously, putting up bird boxes or houses as some call them is only a good thing if you take care of them and be certain that you do all you can to predator proof them.


I will re-visit the Forgotten Land in 2 weeks. The t-posts are greased. Everything looks good. So now it's up to the birds.

See you after the weekend with another update from another area.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment