The Love Shack

The Love Shack

Thursday, May 9, 2019

Frustration

With little nesting activity going on so far this spring, I was pretty stoked about the Chickadee nest in Lambton. In just a few days the nest doubled in size. I had returned late last week to put in a screw in the access door to give the birds some security.


I bought a metal ring for the entry hole over the weekend. I was going to attach it to the box sometime this week. The ring would reduce the size of the entry hole to keep larger birds out as well prevent Squirrels from chewing at the hole.

Yesterday I went to put the ring on and was shocked to see that the Chickadee nest was gone. There was just a few mossy bits at the bottom and nothing else. Many thoughts circled my head about what happened. Then moments later the answer came to me. A scolding male House Wren sat nearby, unhappy that I was at his box.


As soon as I walked away, he went right to the nest box.


Frustration sums up how I am feeling right now. You may recall House Wrens destroyed a Chickadee nest in Area One last spring. Four newly hatched Chickadees killed and 3 remaining eggs pipped (pierced). Thankfully there were no eggs in this new nest. I didn't think I would have to worry about Wrens here since the box was out in the open.

I'm working on something else for the Chickadees after a bit of research and some conversation with others on social media.

No comments:

Post a Comment