The Love Shack

The Love Shack

Thursday, May 16, 2019

The Battle in Lambton

If you've been following the Chickadee vs Wren nest box drama the last couple weeks, well here's another update for you.


For the second time now, the House Wren has come in and destroyed the Chickadees' nest, completely emptying out the box. The bird has not put in any of his own nest material as I figure he's waiting for a female to come along before he starts building.

The Wren spends his time hundreds of feet away across the rail line as I've heard him calling with my visits, always from the same area. One would think he'd be much closer to this nest box if he really wanted to use it.

I feel bad for the Chickadees. They have tried twice and lost both times. Would they try again? How far along would they get before the Wren comes in? So I did what I thought was best, and had reassurance from some other nest box monitoring folk... I took the box down. Of course as I did this along come those two Chickadees, flying over my head, looking rather stressed about what I was doing. I wish they could understand. Nature is cruel and harsh, I know that this thing happens often out there. It's a constant fight for territory and survival with all creatures. I put this box up so I feel some responsibility. If the Wren was nesting, I would have left the box.

The new tube nest box is still vacant and not too far away, I hope they find that one.

I brought this box home as it needed a little TLC. I'm going through various ideas on what else I can do. I am open for suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment