The Love Shack

The Love Shack

Friday, May 10, 2019

Taking Back

Yesterday, May 9th, I returned to Lambton and set up a tube style nest about 200 ft from where the Chickadee/Wren box is. It bothered me that much with what had happened, see here if you missed it, that I had to do something, and fast. It would be a long shot but doing something is better than doing nothing.

Someone I know made these a few years back and gave us one. It was set up in our yard but never got used. Others have had great success with theirs being used by Chickadees and Red-breasted Nuthatches. It's a PVC pipe with a 1 1/8" entry hole, perfect for these smaller bird species. I read somewhere that Wrens don't like the tube style. Now we wait.


On my way out I walk pass the other box and thought to have a look at what's going on. I could see nest material sticking out from the side. Hmmm? Wrens use sticks and not grassy stuff. To my surprise, the Chickadees are back and working hard at it!


I did not see or hear a House Wren anywhere. Did it move on? One would think such a territorial bird would not give up the box so easily?

The Chickadees had an inch or so deep start to the nest again. I should have taken a photo but was too in the moment. I attached the nest hole entry reducer ring. It won't stop a Wren but will keep bigger birds out.

I will keep my distance for the next week as I am sure the birds don't need the stress of my presence right now. Let's hope

No comments:

Post a Comment