The Love Shack

The Love Shack

Thursday, May 2, 2019

Unsettling

As the spring season took an unwelcoming backwards step, making many days feel like the late days of October, it's left me unsettled. I was seeing Tree Swallows at all 4 areas I monitor two weeks ago. Now no Swallows are to be seen or heard. I spoke with an acquaintance who monitors nest boxes in another park near me and he's experienced the same thing.

This weather is a challenge for these insect eating birds and I hope I am just missing them as they fly about in search of food and there is a delay with nesting until the weather improves.

Some good news is a pair of Black-capped Chickadees have been working on a nest in one of my boxes at Lambton. This is what I found yesterday and Chickadees were busy about the vicinity of this box.


The interesting thing is that last year Chickadees started a nest in the same box, but abandoned it early on. I found a natural cavity nest nearby weeks later. I cannot say for certain it was the same pair but chances were good. That cavity is no longer as it came down in an intense storm last summer. Will they continue here this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment