The Love Shack

The Love Shack

Tuesday, May 24, 2022

The Creek - Disappointment (People Suck)

Angie and I went for a late afternoon walk on Sunday since it was the May long weekend; normally by Sunday afternoon we are home for the day, enjoying the last of the weekend before the work week.  We decided to go to one of our favourite quiet places which happens to be The Creek area.  It's been a lovely nature oasis for us for a few years now.  We couldn't help but notice others discovering it the last couple years due to covid lockdowns.  Now if  you paid attention to the title of this blog, you probably sense where I am going with that last bit about other people finding this spot.

Earlier in the spring I did a check of the boxes, making sure they were empty and ready for the birds when they returned.  I cannot remember if I blogged about when I checked the boxes in this area and how I found nickels in a couple of the nest boxes.  How odd.  I have asked myself a few times why someone would do this?  The boxes are well off the path so there's some effort to get to them.  I laughed it off although it left me feeling unsettled.  I didn't like that someone was intentionally going up to these boxes.  It was through the winter when they did this but would they return in the spring, during nesting season?  I always hope people have enough courtesy and common sense to leave things be but sure enough, some people disappoint.

Our walk started off nice, seeing a few pairs of tree swallows at a couple of the boxes.


I did not bring a screwdriver with me so I made mental notes of the birds we saw and what boxes appeared to be occupied.  Along the last stretch of the creek I set up four nest boxes, probably four years ago now.  As we walked the trail and looked up to the boxes that are set up on a hill in a field, Angie pointed out that one box was missing.

A few emotions quickly went through me.  Shock.  Anger.  Then sadness.  I did not expect to see a box missing.  I was only here about a month ago checking them and all were on posts and looking almost as good as new thanks to a couple coats of paint and some roof shingles.  Then the anger, I was mad that someone came along with a screwdriver and took one of the boxes.  It is obvious that they saw the boxes at some point and returned with the proper tool to take one.  Then the sadness as I worried that maybe it happened more recently and swallows had already set up nest inside, maybe there were even eggs?  I don't know for certain but it could very well be.  I've been a little worried ever since that they might come along again and take another.  It's not about the cost and time put in by me at these boxes.  It's about messing with the birds especially if they are nesting.

I wanted to get right on taking down the remaining three boxes and moving them (I already know where) but swallows are already in two of them; so I can't disrupt them.  Unfortunately that doesn't mean someone else won't.

I know it's a risk setting up nest boxes in areas that are accessible to all people.  Anything can happen.  Like look at last May when idiots with fireworks destroyed two nest box trails.  One up in Stayner and the other in an Etobicoke lake front park.  I had kids scribble on one of my boxes in the Forgotten Land two years ago.  Someone has put graffiti on one in Lambton this year.  Now with someone stealing one over at the creek; my trust in the general public has taken a hit.

From this point, we now had to turn around and walk all the way back to the car.  I had to push this crappy discovery to the back burner and just get back into enjoying our nature walk.  There was two other nest boxes further down the creek that we debated on going by since it was getting late.  But thanks to a good sized colony of cliff swallows nesting at the bridge near where we parked, it was the incentive needed to have us stay a little longer.  Angie enjoyed watching the cliff swallows while I checked out the last two boxes.

Some of the cliff swallows.  I can't even estimate how many there are under the bridge this year.  LOTS!

I had someone watching me go to the last box.  He was a nice distraction although I don't think he cared much for seeing me out in the field.  I gave him a little apology and kept on going.

I will be returning to The Creek sooner than I had in mind now.  I hope no other box is missing.  I hate that I will be walking through there now with that bad vibe because of one person's actions.  I told Angie that as soon as the birds are done with the boxes and all the young are out, I will be taking them down.  I will probably wait until later in the fall to set them up in a more secluded spot; hoping that being out of sight will keep them out of mind from then on.

I wanted to post a sign that perhaps the thief might see, you know, "thanking" him for disrupting a federally protected migratory bird species.  That could lead to more deviant behaviour by this person or bring unwanted attention to the remaining nests.

All I know is I would love to one day have a piece of property where I can set up boxes and not worry about this kind of shit.  I bought a Lotto Max ticket for tonight's $70,000,000 draw.  Fingers crossed.

1 comment:

  1. UGH! People can just never leave well enough alone!!

    ReplyDelete