The Love Shack

The Love Shack

Monday, May 23, 2022

Area One - WOW!

Okay, after my last entry, I ventured up to Area One for a look about the grounds.  I hadn't seen a lot of swallows so far and was expecting not much here either, being a bit pessimistic.  Well, the "Bird Gods" made me eat my words about things being slow with all the tree swallow activity here.  Currently there are 16 active tree swallow nests.

Some were in the early stages, having only one or two eggs.  

I found more having four eggs, which should soon have five or six.


And I also found some with five or six eggs.  The swallows sure don't waste time getting nests on the go not long after they have returned, do they?



Almost all of the nest boxes were relocated before the birds returned this spring.  It made things a lot easier for me to walk around and check them all, and in record time.  Twenty three boxes inspected in under an hour.  The mosquitoes were a nuisance but I was happy to not have to step more than a couple feet off any of the trails to access the boxes.

I taped all the posts that have active nests with blue electric tape this year.  I should have removed the old tape from past years since the boxes were all moved but we'll start fresh next year.  The plan this fall is to put a numbering system on the boxes which will make things easier for notes and communication between me and the guys who work at Area One.

I forget the name of this style of nest box but I like that I don't have to open the door to inspect during the season.  My mobile slides in the slot with ease and I just snap a couple pictures.


Here is Wood Duck Alfie's box once again hosting a tree swallow family.

I had a lot of observers throughout my check of the boxes.  The tree swallow tenants were curious and concerned about my "monkeying around" at their homes.  Two birds were watching me here (crappy cell phone photo).

Some were more than concerned, actually getting aggressive and swooping at my head while I ventured much too close to their nest.  You may enjoy this very short video I took, sound on.

Sixteen nests is a record for Area One.  I hope they all do very well.  The odd thing was I did not see or hear a single house wren in the area.  There's still some vacant nest boxes that they are welcome to take but if any do show up to nest, I don't expect them to just play nice and be kind neighbours; that's not a wren's style.

We've come a long way in the last five years since starting the monitoring program here.  It was seven nests that first year.  Look at it now.  I keep hoping for a bluebird family but swallows are cool too.



2 comments:

  1. How awesome! Yours are way ahead of mine, of course but mine are on the verge of nesting now. Saw them doing the nasty on the powerline above the driveway yesterday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing all the eggs...such good work you do!

    ReplyDelete