The Love Shack

The Love Shack

Friday, May 6, 2022

A New Season

Hey there!  Is anyone out there?  I just logged into this blog...  finally.  It's been a cold spring for the most part and the birds are behind in my opinion.  I am just starting to see tree swallows at my nest box areas.  I noted two pairs at the Forgotten Land and one pair at Lambton this past week.  Angie and I recently saw two pairs at the Creek.  I've yet to make my way up to Area One.

Tree Swallows at the Forgotten Land.

I've got a pair of black-capped chickadees who have been at a box in Lambton for over a week.  I've been to spot check a couple times and there's been a pair excavating the wood shavings and chips I had filled up inside.  I also added a size reducing metal ring over the entry hole so larger birds cannot try to take over; too bad it won't work against the house wrens.  I just hope if wrens come back that they go back to the nest box that they've used past years which is well away from this box.

Here is one of the chickadees taking a piece of wood shaving away on April 18th.

Here is one of them again leaving the box on April 25th.

I'm overdue for another look.  Shame on me as this box is within walking distance of our home.

We had a pair checking out our nest boxes at home.  They were monkeying around one box for two days in a row; but then that was it.  I haven't seen them since.  I opened the box to see what was going on inside and it was empty, no wood chips or shavings.  Damn!  I really thought there was some inside.  I filled it up in case they come back; but so far they have not returned.

Anyway, this is my ice breaker blog.  Hoping to be a little bit more regular with updates over the next couple months.

Thanks for coming back, eh!

No comments:

Post a Comment