The Love Shack

The Love Shack

Wednesday, June 26, 2019

First Empty Nest of 2019

As expected my first empty nest of 2019 came from the Forgotten Land. Six young Tree Swallows successfully fledged from their nest box in the last week or so. This same box was the first empty nest of 2018 as well. Last year they had 7 young if I am not mistaken. I am happy about this, especially considering what has happened in the other two nests.


I checked those other boxes and the one pair of Swallows chose not to return after losing all their young.

The other nest still has 2 eggs inside (4 were stolen) and some very agitated parents protecting them. The eggs should have hatched by now. I will leave them be for a couple more weeks and see if a miracle has occurred since.

2 comments:

  1. I think the season is nearly done for most. I miss checking on my wood ducks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It moved so fast, didn't it? All the anticipation in the spring and then it's over. It's all good fun though.

    ReplyDelete