The Love Shack

The Love Shack

Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Remember Those Chickadees?

An overdue update but here it is, better late than never...

Remember that family of Chickadees I was helping along? Their first 2 initial nests were destroyed by a House Wren. I set up a different style box a couple hundred feet west, hoping they would find it. I also moved the original box slightly north/east for the Wren to take. The Chickadees found the new box. The Wren never bothered with them or the boxes again yet I still hear him call from across the rail tracks.

Anyway, 7 eggs laid, 7 eggs hatched and 7 young Chickadees successfully fledged! Man I sure stressed about those birds from beginning to end. So this is an amazing and relieving outcome.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely! I filled the box with wood chips again just after cleaning. The Chickadees excavated it but so far have not started a nest. We had Chickadees nest twice in our yard one summer so we shall see.

    ReplyDelete