The Love Shack

The Love Shack

Friday, June 30, 2017

Empty Nest

Short blog folks. Busy week. Canada Day long weekend is just about upon us. I checked the box where I found the first Tree Swallow eggs of the season earlier this week. You may recall my mention of this dilapidated box that I vowed to leave be until I was certain the birds would be gone. Ya, that one. Well, I am happy to report that the nest was now empty. All 6 young successfully fledged! The box did not fall apart as I opened it, which is good; but I am glad I left it be just in case.
I cleaned it out and will check again in a couple weeks if the birds are going to re-nest.
Great news, eh? If you feel like some more happy news, please check this other blog of mine out from this week. I will be checking other boxes in the coming weeks. I am really trying to time it right that they should be empty at my next visit. I worry about spooking young birds and causing early fledges. I noticed one of the other boxes nearby had young birds, big young birds, all fighting to get their heads out the nest box. I don't want to be the reason they take that first flight when they might not be quite ready. Because once a Tree Swallow fledges and is out, that's it.

No comments:

Post a Comment