The Love Shack

The Love Shack

Friday, July 7, 2017

Another Empty Nest

Hey all, not trying to drag this blog out by any means but I visited the Forgotten Land earlier this week and checked another box I was confident would be empty; and it was! 5 more successfully fledged of Tree Swallows!
Tree Swallows leave quite the mess after they are done. The box was full of ants as well. I've come to the realization that white lithium grease does not have a seasonal lifetime to keep ants out. Thankfully not every box is effected by ants.
I cleaned the box out. I use gloves. I still haven't picked up any facial masks so I go for the old school bank robber look and use my t-shirt over my nose and mouth.
I checked the last known nest in the area. I knew the birds would still be inside and still a week or so away from fledging.
All is well inside with 5 healthy young Swallows.
Things are going very well so far with 11 hatches and 11 fledged. I will be going through Area One in the next week or so. We've got 60 more to leave their nests. It will be interesting to see what the final numbers will be. Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment