The Love Shack

The Love Shack

Wednesday, April 24, 2019

A Return to the Creek

After a rainy couple days over the Easter long weekend, Angie and I ventured over to the creek. It was one part to get in a good walk after some festive eating and also to see if there was any action going on at the boxes. I'm not all that awake this morning as I key this, still working on my first coffee so this may not be so, uh, detailed.

We agreed to park further away so as to get a better walk in. First sighting of the day is a Raccoon curled up in this tree. How they can sleep so soundly in what would seem like not a very comfortable spot astounds me.


We pass the old boxes I've mentioned in the last blog. A pair of Tree Swallows were going back and forth, inspecting both boxes. I will touch upon these boxes later.


As we make our way along the path and towards my boxes at the other end, we chance upon a Belted Kingfisher sitting on the bridge. These birds nest here and I believe I have found their chosen location. I will observe from a distance through the next few months, hopefully I can share something from a new family later in the summer.


We near my boxes and are delighted to see at least 3 Tree Swallows going about the 4 boxes. One pair seemed to be favouring a box, let's hope they decide to stay and use it.


A few other bird sightings around here included...

Many Golden-crowned Kinglets. This one was picking insects out of the puddles.


Despite the cool dark morning, the Song Sparrows (dozens) were singing away.


Angie spotted this Brown Thrasher high atop a tree. First of year for both of us. That's a Red-winged Blackbird behind (no shortage of them along the creek).


On our way out, I stopped at the old boxes to give them a look over. They are showing signs of aging. Both are empty. So I wonder if someone is monitoring them every year? They look worn inside, like they've been used in the past. I don't care much for the big nails sticking out of each, like a perch for the birds. As you can see in the photo, the Tree Swallows do not sit on these nails but rather hold on at the entry hole. I do believe the nail bothers me more than it does them.


One box, the front is barely holding on by just 2 nails. There's no access from the sides so to me it would seem one just pulls the front off to get inside. The one nail is only in a couple milimetres, I guess for easier access.


The other has 2 screws across the top of the front and one at the bottom. The top screws are not fully driven in, so there is a sizable gap which would definitely allow for rain to seep inside. Again no side access. I unscrew the bottom screw and with that play across the top, the front wall can be pulled outwards to peer inside. I'm not sure if that is their intent, or they just take the whole wall off in the fall to clean the box out.


I thought about taking both boxes down and putting up the last couple I have at home from the Forgotten Land but these boxes are set up on smooth round steel posts and attached with a large screw through the back wall. I have too much else going on to attempt any modifications so I leave them be.

The next day I return and decide to tightly screw in the one box so there is no more gap. The other box, I added a screw in the front wall to hold it in tight. It will be interesting to see if whoever put these boxes up returns and notices the slight upgrade.

On this second walk I enjoy watching the pair of Kingfishers fly up and down the creek.


I saw 4 White-tailed Deer in the distance. They saw me too.




I spotted a Robin working on a new nest. Another to observe from a respectable distance.


I did not go as far as the 4 new boxes with this short visit.

1 comment: