The Love Shack

The Love Shack

Thursday, April 18, 2019

2019 - Here We Go!

Finally! Tree Swallows are arriving back in the greater Toronto area. Angie and I saw 3 pairs in Area One last weekend. I saw one pair at The Forgotten Land yesterday.


While we walked Area One, I didn't see it as an official tour of the grounds and inspecting the boxes.


Friends at Area One have been getting them ready for the season by closing the side walls and next up will be some pole greasing. NOTE: side walls and doors have been left opened through the winter months to deter Deer Mice from using them. You may recall that starting the previous winter, we offered the mice alternate housing by setting up old boxes on some of the posts below the new houses.

So the Forgotten Land is my first official nest box trail check of the season.

It was a mild sunny morning. Upon arrival I was treated to a courting pair of Red-tailed Hawks. The male had prey in it's talons and was circling over head, steadily calling out. The female followed, making her own circles in the sky. A sure sign of spring!


Numerous Robins and Red-winged Blackbirds were about the field. A few female Red-winged Blackbirds were present (they always return some weeks after the males have begun setting up territory). Downy Woodpeckers and Black-capped Chickadees were calling from the wood lot. A pair of Mockingbirds were chasing each other back and forth near where I parked. I saw at least 4 Northern Flickers too. Unfortunately one Flicker was in the talons of the above mentioned Red-tailed Hawk.


In a few more weeks this area will be even better for birds with many more migrant species either stopping in for a rest or setting up territory.

Then I heard Tree Swallows as I approached the first 3 nest boxes along West Hill. Interestingly enough, they were at one particular box that has been used every year I've been monitoring. It makes me believe it is the same adults. I watched one bird go into the box while the other sat in a nearby tree chattering away. Of course the bird was very cooperative as I passed by and I only had my smaller lens on the camera. I remind myself that this is not a photo op outing; I have work to do.



The second box is good to go. Then I get to the third and am a tad annoyed. I hope this was the extent of human interference and this box, or any other box I'm monitoring. This is why I try to do everything on the cheap, salvaging old boxes and not investing much more than my time. Scribes on the front and the side. Ugh.


The birds do deserve better but some people ruin things, don't they? It's nothing compared to an area I know of where people went in one night and smashed all the nest boxes; thankfully the birds weren't back yet.

I get to the last two on West Hill which are further along, and they are fine. I've had one nest here each year and am hopeful for another this season.


Now I back track, heading over to East Ravine. I notice a Tree Swallow come out of the vandalized box. I cannot say for certain if it's another bird, or one of the pair I initially spotted. It's still very early in the season and no one has officially set up shop. We shall see come next visit.

As I enter the East Ravine area, I pass this antique on the side of the road. I love old cars and trucks.


I find myself having to walk around a bold Canada Goose. Kill Deer were calling from the creek. Red-wings and Grackles, Cowbirds and Robins surround me as I move along. This is a great Yellow Warbler nesting spot and I cannot wait to hear the males singing in a few more weeks.

I just realize as I key this, I forgot to mention that I recently set up 2 boxes along this stretch. I fixed up 2 old boxes the other week and found a couple t-posts.



The green "memorial" box still stands further down where the big dramatic Bluebird tale from 2017 occurred. I should move this box out into the open so it may get used one year; or close it up so that no bird can ever access it. Soon this box will be lost in the green that surrounds it through the warm months.


I walk further east, looking for a natural cavity I know of, where Flickers have nested in the past. It's also a nice hole for a Screech Owl to get into and once I had such an Owl here. Nothing going on but it's always good to check.

It is here that I see my next annoyance from some person. Seriously?!?! Who would think this is a great idea? Sleeping under the stars does sound nice. Having a toilet nearby is every campers' dream. But here? Out in the open? Someone want to come out with me next visit? I will buy you a coffee if you lift the lid and see if they're actually using it.


I shake my head and call it a day.

I almost stepped in some Coyote poop on the way back. Maybe he should learn to use that toilet? Heh heh.


There are 8 boxes here. Let's see how many nests we get and by what species.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the nests. My phoebes are still trying things out. The blue jays have nested in a pine tree and I can't see them, but sure can hear them!

    ReplyDelete