The Love Shack

The Love Shack

Sunday, July 26, 2020

The Creek Tally

A couple weeks ago I did a sweep of the Creek nest boxes. Nine nest boxes and seven had Tree Swallows. At the time there was 39 eggs. I figured a couple more could come of there but I never did bother looking again. I was happy with the activity and left it at that.

Through the box checks, I unfortunately found 2 dead young birds in separate boxes. I also found 2 eggs not hatched in other boxes. Overall though, a very good year in the Creek with 35 fledged Tree Swallows.

But it's not over yet. A week earlier when Angie and I went for our Sunday morning walk there, I noticed Tree Swallows going to a previously unclaimed box. I was going to check the empty boxes anyway come cleaning time and this new nest was a bit of excitement to inspect the following week.

Here is what I found when I checked this new nest, one healthy very young Tree Swallow. There were no other eggs.


We had just endured a brutally humid week and I am happy he survived it. I cannot imagine how hot it must get inside those boxes during the heat and full sun.

I will check on this nest again in a couple weeks. Stay tuned.

So with 9 fledged Swallows in Lambton, plus the 21 over at the Forgotten Land and 35 here at the Creek I'm now at 65 fledged.

Area One is yet to be checked but hopefully soon.

1 comment: