The Love Shack

The Love Shack

Saturday, July 18, 2020

Lambton Tally

So here we go with the final counts for the Lambton area.

With 6 nest boxes set up, I ended up with 2 nests of Tree Swallows. Both had 5 eggs each. All 10 eggs hatched. Of the 10 birds, 9 fledged. I was saddened to discover one deceased young bird in one of the nests.

The second Swallow nest was a surprise late find and as the leaves filled in the surrounding trees, this nest box disappeared. 

Can you spot the nest?


It was fun to watch the adults still make their way into the nest to care for the young.

Both nests were cleaned out of fecal sacs, nesting material and the one dead bird.

I almost forgot about a lone box I set up last year in my plan to help those Black-capped Chickadees nest without hassle from a House Wren. Well, the Wren(s) nested successfully in the box this year. A couple weeks ago I flushed an adult when I approached the box. I could hear young inside. Next visit, all were gone. I cleaned that nest out as well.


So with 9 fledged Swallows here plus the 21 over at the Forgotten Land I've got 30 fledged from 37 eggs so far.

The brutal humidex is not making this an easy task but I don't want to leave it too long.

Nest up will be the Creek. Stay tuned.


1 comment: